Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My very own Marley

With a close grunt and bite ... my family dog is about a thin line from being sent away. Dad was almost bitten. I was almost bitten.

Ah Foo have been behaving with mischief, lately with something to hate for. Perhaps its the tender and care our family have bestowed him in the past few days as he was unwell, and perhaps he is now taking advantage of that gesture. Howling and climbing onto the shoe rack, dragging dog food and snacks from it - is definitely a big mistake. As a result, he is scolded and awarded the big "NO", "Bad Dog" and even "Death Stare" from me and dad. Dad is still home, recovering ... so he is also around to complain about Ah Foo.

In the past 6 hours, he has recorded to destroying, chewing up and swallowing two packs of dog medicine, a bag of bone and his eye drops, caps and bottles all digesting in his tummy. The food is definitely out of reach. A brief experiment trying to find how he obtain the skills to lure food from the high shelf with me hiding at one corner, watching him like a National Geographic Photojournalist finds that he simple uses one move to get his to his goal.

Standing on both back feet and using his front feet (both long enough), he simply apply the push and pull theory. Pushing his body forward, pulling his front feet back ... dragging his goal down the floor and then slowly chewing his way through the plastic container and the reward? Consumable Ingredients. I don't call them food. I don't find medicine and eye drop solution something you can eat.

An achievement for him, he boast about it. Dad and I watched closely and subject to the cane ... since he disobey all verbal punishment, prevention methods and so forth. That is when Ah Foo snapped and lunged forward wanting to bite. Defense for dogs. A bad move if cultivated. I was never intimidated by that move. Like thunder, I grab him by the collar and land a huge slap on his mouth. He tries to defend with bite, I reply with another slap, with caution not to land my hand in the way of his teeth. My mum and dad tells me to retreat and protect myself from being bitten. I never listen. Almost never.

When the drama subsided, the stupid dog continues his stupid move constantly craving for food and my dad concluded that he has no brain or guts to be a good dog. By the way, He definitely is fed with food. He should be named Glutton. Mum says, Stupid Glutton. I say Bad Glutton, in Chinese of course. Mum and dad continued their ramblings and here I am sulking in my blog about my dog, who perhaps is better off in an environment where he can just be himself and roam like a free glutton elephant. Elephant eats non stop every day and would stop at nothing to eat. I believe he will replace the love with food anytime if he can ... He shows it. Call him by name, he will not come. Wave him for a pat, he will not come. Just go near the food rack and he will do anything, ANYTHING for you.

Perhaps I am not ready for a dog. Perhaps I am the typical dog lover but shouldn't have dog. Bad enough I always wanted a dog, Worst for me not expecting the worst- Family vs Pet. Having Ah Foo is like running the department of complaints for the country. I do not know how long I can manage my own stress along with Ah Foo's mischief and complains as dessert everyday.

Mum suggested to move all his food away to a better location. Good idea. Let's adjust to a dog that does obey to home rules. Adjust to him, accommodate him and find new troubles sprouting from that boy in the future and we are in a cycle here ... Trust me, I am this close [ ] in "disloving" him, a fusion term of disown and losing-love for him. Not throw him out the house, but avoidance in contact of any kind. I believe is my fatigue and family pressure talking. I certainly hope so too.

I salute John Grogan and his family for going through the tides with Marley. Fortunate for them, they are well off. Unfortunately, I am not close to a quarter Grogan.

No comments:

Post a Comment